The SF IHSS PA is a consumer-directed program, meaning consumers have the right to choose who assists them. To that end, the Public Authority provides the following services:
- Operate a Registry to provide lists of screened workers to IHSS consumers for potential in-home employment.
- Maintain and operate an On-Call program for IHSS consumers in need of urgent personal care, who have been referred for services by IHSS social workers.
- Registry services are available to individuals who do not qualify for IHSS and are willing to pay a fee to receive lists of available Registry home care providers
- Offer training opportunities to Registry home care providers through a partnership with the Homebridge Training (formerly TAPCA).
- Offer a Mentorship Program to assist consumers.
- Act as the employer-of-record for IHSS independent providers, allowing worker organization and union representation.
- Offer health and dental benefits to City and County IHSS providers through the San Francisco Health Plan (HealthyWorkers).